This Website / Blog belongs to Dora M. Dominguez-Carey 2005: Background Template by Dora D. Carey 2005: Dominguez Generations, Inc. 2005

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

In Memory of One Of Our Dearest Friends: Roberta (Berta) Barber: March 11, 1943 - May 28,2013!


Ms Berta was a very special friend to my sister (Josie) and in turn she became special to me as well.  For many years this lady made a huge impact on my sister's life for various reasons and ultimately and most importantly she was there for my sis when my sis needed a friend - a good friend whom could just listen and always, always offered up a solution in lieu of unwanted advice.  Though I am sure she gave advice, that is what elders whom love us unconditionally do, after all.  My sister was lucky (and she knows that) to have had such a special person enter her life long, long ago when my sis moved away from home (out-of-town) with my brother-in-law (J
abier) and entered into a new, different and somewhat scary world without family.  Ms. Berta took her in and in essence became her family.  Like I stated earlier, not long after she took my sis under her wings, per se, Ms. Berta would also positively impact my life.  
I was just a little kid (not sure how old I was), but Ms. Berta also made me feel special and welcome during the times (usually summer vacation) I would spend with my sis and bro-in-law.  I felt lonely and lost the first time my parents allowed me to spend time with Josie and Jabier only because I was so not used to being away from home, especially not away from Mama.  I got used to it in time and the brat in me opened herself to allowing others into my life and Ms. Berta wasted no time in opening her world to this person.  Such a wonderful lady she was.  Her generosity so magnanimous as was her heart.  During a conversation Josie and I had this week, we both stated  that if you open your heart and mind to allowing others that are not family by blood, and offer yourself up to having special friends...you may just end up with a wonderful friend like Ms. Berta.  We also remembered Ms. Berta's huge heart and love for those whom were good to her as well.  When I was ill (years later after meeting Ms. Berta and thankfully she was still a big part of Josie's life and mine), and I was on short-term leave from my job (when I was a Team Lead at Target), Ms. Berta found out and just gave me the money I lacked to buy the much needed meds for my thyroid condition.  I was having monetary problems during that time and not only did this kind, special friend offer up money for meds but for anything else I needed. 
That was Ms. Berta for you - always thinking of others.  Whatever you needed or wanted she insisted on being the one to help you get it.  She never asked why you needed it; however, she did sometimes ask why you did not go to her first.  We will forever remember her great, big smile and her awesome heart.  The way she loved unconditionally when one took the time to love her back and exercised the most important rule of all: "the golden rule"!  Though Ms. Berta suffered much through health issues for many, many years and fought the "good fight"...she must have finally been ready to go meet her Maker as well.  She provided much comfort for my dear sister when we lost our Mama and for that Ms. Berta will forever have endeared herself to me more than she ever had.  We will all miss her terribly.  She, like so many others, also leaves a gap in our lives, but her memories linger long, hard and sweet to sustain us...in return we offer up our own great, big smiles to her each time we remember her!  
Love from Josie (a.k.a. your daughter), Jabier, Alex, Dora, Sara, and the rest of the family whom knew Ms. Berta well and what she meant to us in Midland!

No comments: